sUp5rET.png

[Demand] Stop using the word WOULD for Mittells sake!

Alright, so everyone is a pro RPer, well done.

BUT(T) there's only one little thing that really grinds my gears.

Would Would WOULD WOULD WOULD

WOULD YOU.... kindly stop with using it improperly.
using me's and do's containing the word would out of context should be shot.

Now why am I making a fuss out of this?
It's fairly simple. If you were to say "Mittell would be an asshole" it gives you an option. Either you approve or disapprove.
"You would see someone getting shot" allows EVERYONE to deny that it happened. I saw someone getting shot or I didn't see someone getting shot

But.... powergaming...
recently I saw something as a weather script with the following:
[Weather] the weather would be hot and dry.
Now this is "OH HELL WRONG" because this is the biggest developed grammatical error I've seen. And I know that I myself has made a lot of grammatical errors back in the day.
What this SHOULD be is the following:
"[Weather] It is sunny and the temperature is 'x' degrees centigrade/fahrenheit" (whatever the world or america uses)

This also applies to your roleplay
instead of typing "You would see a wound on Noob's arm" type sometihng like this: "There is a wound on Noobs left arm and is bleeding."
But stop adding WOULD every Mittells time! I've seen LOTS of RPers using WOULD every....fuckin'...time. Every /me or every /do would would would all over.

Now my rant is over

cheers,
Mittell

Luka

MTA:RP Forum Legend
Oh my God ahhahhahahahahah, laughed so much on this. Although, I support him!

MikZeR

Donator
Donator
I'm going to find you IG Mittell, and I'm going to go crazy with "Would", see if we can trigger that OCD, hehehehehehe.

Driga

<b><span style="color:#C41414;"t>Veteran</b><br />
Donator
I would reply to this, but I'm guessing if I would do that, you would get mad at me. Since you would see this reply, then I still did it :)

I'm going to find you IG Mittell, and I'm going to go crazy with "Would", see if we can trigger that OCD, hehehehehehe.

Would you kindly buy a drink when you do that?

I can't believe you really made a whole topic on this..
Well better start believing! no religion

I would reply to this, but I'm guessing if I would do that, you would get mad at me. Since you would see this reply, then I still did it :)

You would and you did, I could get mad at you. you disappoint me with the fourt would in your sentense because of the bad context ( it was going so well :( ) And yet you did made the reply.

Bunny

MTA:RP Forum Legend
Would you kindly buy a drink when you do that?

Well better start believing! no religion

You would and you did, I could get mad at you. you disappoint me with the fourt would in your sentense because of the bad context ( it was going so well :( ) And yet you did made the reply.

the sentense

Deli

I see this on SA-MP, it's irritating. At least MTA:RP is improving their roleplay in general, hashtag transformation.

004Charmander.png

Fusionz

Donator
Donator
But.... powergaming...
recently I saw something as a weather script with the following:
[Weather] the weather would be hot and dry.
Now this is "OH HELL WRONG" because this is the biggest developed grammatical error I've seen. And I know that I myself has made a lot of grammatical errors back in the day.
What this SHOULD be is the following:
"[Weather] It is sunny and the temperature is 'x' degrees centigrade/fahrenheit" (whatever the world or america uses)

In this case it's not really wrong, since it's the weather, maybe "It is sunny" sounds better then "It would be sunny" but it's not a HUGE grammatical mistake.

For the rest you mentioned; yeah the word is being overused but that doesn't mean it's wrong.
In some cases it's yet better to add "would" rather then "is".

But just for you i'll change it. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
For the rest you mentioned; yeah the word is being overused but that doesn't mean it's wrong.
In some cases it's yet better to add "would" rather then "is".

It is not always wrong, but in the context that it is being used can be faulty interpeted. Like "I would punch you in the face". I am merely pointing out that players should be more creative.

But just for you i'll change it. :rolleyes:

Aw thanks <3. You my bae now

weelawn

<b><span style="color:#DA81F5;"t>Irish Pride!</b><
Donator
This is a pointless and pathetic thread, your trying to tell people to stop using / cut down on the word "would"? In roleplay this isn't wrong, you speak in third person of your character. If you "would", please close this thread. :)

This is a pointless and pathetic thread, your trying to tell people to stop using / cut down on the word "would"? In roleplay this isn't wrong, you speak in third person of your character. If you "would", please close this thread. :)

In a sense it's not pointless nor pathethic. The reason I posted this thread is to make people aware about their roleplay. I have a request to each and everyone of you.
Look back in your logs and look at your RP. count howmany times you have used the word would.

roughly 80% of all sentences start with "would" in cases it is not always neccesary, but because they grew so acustomed to it, they keep using it to nearly every line.

How you roleplay doesn't matter, but if you are like me looking to improve your personal skills in any way whatsoever. I would advice you to work out ways to alter your sentences. I'm not saying that you have to ban would out of your dictionary altogether, but to look for alternatives to describe your actions.

There has been a topic about using "would" in the world of roleplay at rootgaming I believe, don't really remember. I took note of it and became aware about howmany times I used "would" in my sentences. So I started to restructure my RP and avoid using would as much as possible. It opened a new world for me because I started to see other patterns in roleplay.

For example. the s/f when asking for a /do. I never answer with a /do s or /do f. I reply in /b because you are asking OOC permission or an OOC input for the action that has been asked, unless it can be responded with an RP in return.
A lot of people don't get that and ask in the OOC chat for my reply that I've already given. then they exclusivbly want me to put /do s or /do f. But when I do that I can't put in reasons or go more in depth of the situation.

I'm not complaining or making a fuss out of it. I am trying to give you my perspective and tutor how it can be done differently. What you do with that information is for you to decide. You can take note of it or just ignore it.

strawberryhero

<b><span style="color:#007AA3">Alvin Drako</span><
Donator
In a sense it's not pointless nor pathethic. The reason I posted this thread is to make people aware about their roleplay. I have a request to each and everyone of you.
Look back in your logs and look at your RP. count howmany times you have used the word would.

roughly 80% of all sentences start with "would" in cases it is not always neccesary, but because they grew so acustomed to it, they keep using it to nearly every line.

How you roleplay doesn't matter, but if you are like me looking to improve your personal skills in any way whatsoever. I would advice you to work out ways to alter your sentences. I'm not saying that you have to ban would out of your dictionary altogether, but to look for alternatives to describe your actions.

There has been a topic about using "would" in the world of roleplay at rootgaming I believe, don't really remember. I took note of it and became aware about howmany times I used "would" in my sentences. So I started to restructure my RP and avoid using would as much as possible. It opened a new world for me because I started to see other patterns in roleplay.

For example. the s/f when asking for a /do. I never answer with a /do s or /do f. I reply in /b because you are asking OOC permission or an OOC input for the action that has been asked, unless it can be responded with an RP in return.
A lot of people don't get that and ask in the OOC chat for my reply that I've already given. then they exclusivbly want me to put /do s or /do f. But when I do that I can't put in reasons or go more in depth of the situation.

I'm not complaining or making a fuss out of it. I am trying to give you my perspective and tutor how it can be done differently. What you do with that information is for you to decide. You can take note of it or just ignore it.

Mittell is like a wizard; Wise and teaching.

I approve of Mittell's message.

sUp5rET.png