sUp5rET.png

Roleplay Guide 101

samyong

Comprehensive Roleplay Guide 101

External links:
Mittel 'Shaggy' Buurman's Roleplay guide: http://mtaroleplay.com/forums/showthread.php?903-The-Role-Play-Guru-The-Complete-Role-Play-Guide
Mittel 'Shaggy' Buurman's Guide to DM, PG and MG: http://mtaroleplay.com/forums/showthread.php?902-The-Role-Play-Guru-Guide-to-DM-PG-MG

Now I know that a lot of players from the community will not read this, so I will just go ahead and make a guide anyway.

==CONTENTS==

0.1.0 - Introduction.
0.2.0 - Mechanics of Roleplay.
0.2.1 - Roleplay Terminology.
0.2.2 - Roleplay commands.
0.3.0 - Your character and the world around it.
0.3.1 - /Me.
0.3.2 - /Do.
0.3.3 - on/off person(s).
0.3.4 - Driving properly.
0.3.5 - Fear, emotion and personality.
0.3.6 - The games setting..
0.4.0 - Getting Started on MTA-RP.
0.4.1 - Character Creation.
0.4.2 - Getting a job.
0.4.3 - Town Hall jobs.
0.4.4 - Faction jobs.
0.5.0 - Driving.
0.5.1 - Getting a drivers license.
0.5.2 - Buying or renting a vehicle.
0.6.0 - Items.
0.6.1 - Item Shops.
0.6.2 - Illegal Items.
0.6.3 - Obtaining Illegal Items.
0.7.0 - Buying or renting a property.
0.8.0 Police.
0.8.1 - Police provocation, don't do it.
0.9.0 - Hurt? Broken bones?
1.0.0 - NON-RP

0.1.0 - Introduction

Roleplay is defined as an immersive method of coordinating real-life aspects and characteristics in a fictional way; much like theatrical acting. Here, however on MTA-RP we have the opportunity to roleplay life-like characters in a very intimate sense. Through the many scripts that make up MTA-RP the opportunities are seemingly limitless with the wealth of players on at most given times. Again, the possibilities for roleplay are endless.
Roleplay can be fun if people wish it to be so, but there are some Roleplayers that just don't grasp the concept of it which is a shame as they are missing out on experiencing the immersive powers that Roleplay possesses in an intimate fashion, on MTA-RP we roleplay through various means mentioned in the following chapter.

0.2.0 - Mechanics of Roleplay
The boring part is learning the different terminology used in Roleplaying, this guide will touch on these aspects to ensure that YOU as a new roleplayer can understand these easy terms.

0.2.1 - Roleplay Terminology
In Character (IC) - In Character means everything that is to do with roleplaying, you must speak proper English in this sense, this means that you should not use shortened words such as: Pls, thx, u or ty etc.
Some people are very strict about the use of language in Roleplay; which is VERY understandable. These commands and channels on MTA-RP are used for IC purposes: /s, /me, /do, /y, /p and /w just to name a few are ALL IC channels, no OOC gossip in these, this is just for your Roleplaying benefits!

Out of Character (OOC) - Out of Character means everything that is not In Character; if you got a new dog IRL, you might announce this to other player in an OOC chat by pressing 'b', or by typing '/b I got a new dog, it's soooo cute!!1 :3' for local OOC, the following channels are OOC: /b, /pm, /f and /OOC. Using IC information from here to benefit you IC is Metagaming.

Meta-gaming (MG) - Meta-gaming is the use of IC information obtained by OOC means; on MTA-RP it seems to be an ongoing problem by many players and this is actually against the rules; remember not to do it, and play fairly for the sake of everyone's Roleplay enjoyment.

Power-gaming (PG) - Power-gaming is related to IC /emotes and /do's regarding when players do an /emote to other players characters giving absolutely NO chance to respond in order to protect their character; this is NOT-ON and is against the rules to do.

God-modding - God-modding is not actually mentioned much here on MTA-RP, but basically it is closely related to Power-gaming in a way that is silly. An example best fits a definition. In the following example, Superman John has been shot at by Cracker Lan.

*Cracker Lan pulls the trigger of his gun, sending a bullet flying towards Superman John.
*Superman John steps to the side quickly, dodging the bullet.

This is a very silly example of God-modding and actually represents players that desperately do NOT want to die - the example also represents NON-RP.

NON-RP - NON-RP defines an action that has been done without any use of emotes, if someone came up and punched your character without any use of /me (providing they also power-game) then it is Random Death-match (RDM) and NON-RP; this is against the rules here on MTA-RP.

Death-matching (DM) - Attacking other players without /emoting is considered DM and is a punishable offence.

Ninja-Jacking (NJ) - Pulling someone from their vehicle without giving them a chance to roleplay, or not roleplaying at all (NON-RP) is considered Ninja-Jacking and is also against the rules.

There are so many rules to remember when roleplaying! They aren't all necessary, but some individuals ensure that these rules need to be mentioned and enforced. But once you've read these basic rules and terms you should learn how to use the proper channels.

0.2.2 - Roleplay commands.
There are many commands that can be used in-game on MTA-RP, for example you have access to an inventory if you press I, here's a list of key binded commands for you to use.

I - brings up your inventory, enlarge this with a backpack purchased at any General store.

M - brings up the mouse, so you can click on various things such as NPC's, other payers, yourself, ATM's and vehicles; you can also move objects placed with this.

K - Locks and unlocks a vehicle accessible to your character.

F - Enters a vehicle as the driver/pilot.

G - Enters a vehicle as a passenger.

B - allows you to easily talk in localOOC chat without the need for pressing T and typing /b. It's a lot simpler to use this for OOC.

ALT - allows you to walk, and also see the number-plates of vehicles in bold green writing hovering over vehicles.

T - enables you to talk, by using these following commands you can use various ways to speak, or emote.
(nothing) - will let you say something normally in a normal voice, unless changed with proper use of voice emoting (usually done with * message *, or <message>.

/s - shouts, so lots of people can hear you.

/w <player> - whispers to a player if you are close enough.

These are just basic commands, for some more that interact with others around you, here is a small list.

/pay <player> <amount> - this gives a player near you money that you have on hand, to check the amount of money you have on hand, enter the following:

/money - this will display the amount of money you have on your character.

/animlist - a list of handy animations for you to use when roleplaying for increased depth.

With a phone you are able to answer your phone with /pickup, and hang up with /hangup. When talking over the phone remember to use /p <message>
These phones are not only limited to talking over, you can also send sms messages with: /sms <number> <message>
It's really useful if you don't want to make a phone call; which is still very easy to do.

0.3.0 - Your very own character!.
These IC channels represent things to do with your character, and the world around YOUR character; you can't manipulate the world around other characters unless you are giving another character a note, shooting them or giving them a nice, lovely kiss. Not excluding possible personalities and illnesses from this roleplay possibility and experience; these are always very fun to play.
This chapter will explain the different and possible uses for /me and /do, also discussing the limited use for these.

0.3.1 - /Me
/me is used for anything that your character does, from tying shoe-laces to jumping up and down in a violent raging spout.
Here are a few examples, but be creative, be original when doing these! It's fun.
*Sam Yong bends over to pick up a bar of soap from the bathroom floor; aware of this risky action.
or *Sam Yong smiles to those around him, his smile possessing a merry tone to it portraying his merriness.
Don't limit /me's by dividing emotes with /do's, you can mix the two easily. Sometimes if your emote is typed in with the console it won't send if it is too long, this is why just using the normal chat is preferred by most as it's just trivial having to keep trying over and over again.

0.3.2 - /Do.
/do's are used to explain the world around your character, or to describe something your character is doing without your characters name being in the way; if I write a cheque in /me, I usually follow up with a /do to display the amount written on the cheque, an example is below:
*The cheque reads a whopping amount of $2.50 and is signed neatly with the name S.Yong. ((Sam Yong))
If you run out of space in /me, feel free to use hiphons and link your /me's to do's appropriately.
/me frowns slightly, adjusting their bow-tie nervously, something seems to be irritating this person to no end -
/do - and has them on egde, their eyes flick around the area around them desperately in search for the bother.
This is perfectly legal to do with the use of /me and /do, which now brings this guide to stating things that are NOT permitted when using /me and /do.

0.3.3 - on/off person(s). Emote binds...
/me's and /do's that posess multiple outcomes like
*Superman John puts the keys in the cars ignition turning it [ON/OFF], this is not allowed and is against the rules on MTA-RP as is this:
*Killer Po-po takes out his X27 taser* and aims it at the suspect(s) is not allowed, nearly every cop on MTA-RP I see uses this bind and it is sickening to see it encouraged. Take turns when roleplaying give other players a chance to emote and do the things they feel necessary; it's a multi-player game, so play fairly.

* - taser I see is spelt incorrectly in most scenarios, it is actually spelt: Tazer.

0.3.4 - Driving properly.
In real life almost every single car on the road you should see drives by the law, they don't speed (very much), nor do they race every five minutes; this usually happens late at night by teenage 'hoons'. If you drive like a maniac around police, this is provoking them which is against the rules so please don't do it, and a message to cops too: if someone is provoking you, don't go for the chase; it's NON-RP otherwise and usually ends in an argument OOCly.
You don't take the drivers test for nothing.

0.3.5 - Fear, emotion and personality.
Characters are not mindless zombies, in fact they are a figment of your imagination and therefore possess similar values to players themselves, if they are after a quality roleplay; (this does not include the zombie emoters that use binds!!). Characters are prone to mental illness, physical illness, fear, fatigue and pain. Just because you can't feel the pain behind the screen does not mean that you don't have to mention it In Character; it's fun roleplaying characters with personalities, and personality disorders, but make sure you don't make fun of people IRL with this, it can be considered as OOC insults and is punishable, so be open minded and sympathetic when doing this and be aware of others.

Gun fear is also common in many people because it's a tool of death and many people fear death in the utmost horror; it is inexplicably one fear that not many people could overcome, not without serving in a war or having been in many shoot-outs. Men and women have minds, and minds that can haunt them.

0.3.6 - The games setting.
For those that do not know, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is set around California in the 1990's, when celebrities like Kurt Cobain are still around, and Elvis still a very big hit since his recent death.

0.4.0 - Getting started on MTA-RP
When you first start on MTA-RP you get to name your character, set an age, height, weight and native language; it is strongly advised that you have in mind some sort of back-story and knowledge of the games year setting before, as mentioned in 0.3.0-0.3.6.
When you start out on MTA-RP, you are greeted with this fantastic character creation menu. This is the epicenter of your character, as it allows you to describe your character, name your character, set an age, height and weight. It's fantastic. Screenshots below.

0.4.1 - Character Creation
Poor old Graham Do has moved to Los Santos, fortunately for him; he is the starring celebrity in this guide.
wrl6om.png

Don't limit yourself when typing in a description, go nuts; make sure not to write anything too inappropriate. When you've done that you'll spawn at the town hall.

Poor Old Graham, stuck at Town Hall with only his Pajamas!
20i8gno.png

0.4.2 - Getting a job
While you're up here you might as well get a job by entering through the door to the Town Hall and by talking to the lady on the left; Poor old Graham didn't know which one to talk to!

The lady on the left offers jobs, and the lady on the right enables you to buy a custom number-plate for your cars/bikes, neat!
35ldr7m.png

In-Game, the F1 menu talks about these jobs; here's what the F1 help menu has to say:

0.4.3 - Town Hall Jobs

Delivery Driver:
This job involves working for RS Haul based at the East Rockshore industrial estate. Collect a Mule (truck) from the depot and enter /startjob once inside. You will be shown your first drop off location on your radar and map
Drive to the location and once inside the pink checkpoint enter the /dumpload command. You now have the choice of continuing to the next drop off point (pink blip) or returning to the depot (green blip) to finish the job and collect your wage.

Taxi Driver
Collect a taxi or cabbie from the LS Transport depot in Redsands East. When a player calls for a taxi with /taxi [location] (Without the brackets [ and ]) you will receive a message alerting you. Drive to the customers location to pick them up. Once you have dropped them to where they want to go they need to /pay you for the fare of the journey.

Bus Driver
Collect a bus from the LS Transport depot in Redsands East. Once inside the bus or coach enter the /startbus command. You will be shown the bus route through red and yellow checkpoints

Yellow checkpoints indicate the route you need to take.
Red checkpoints are the actual stops along the route.

When you reach a red checkpoint the name/location of the stop is announced locally and you will be paid $18. You will be prompted to stop for a while to allow customers to get on. Customers pay $2 when entering the bus, but the driver does not receive this money.
In total there are 13 stops along the route, stopping at major locations in the city ending back at the LV Transport Depot. To begin the route again simply re-enter the /startbus command.

Mechanic
Right click on an unlocked car to be shown the services you can provide. Currently, mechanics can:
Repair body work - fixes the appearance of the vehicle, but not the health.
Service a vehicle - completely fixes a vehicle
Replace tyres - replaces tyres on a vehicle.
Repaint vehicles - Changes a vehicles colour.
Add upgrades - adds available upgrades to the vehicle.
Add paintjob - Adds vailable paintjobs to the car.
In the GUI the mechanic is shown what the cost is to provide that service. To make a profit the mechanic must charge more than this price.
To quit any of the city hall jobs enter the /quitjob command.

0.4.4 - Faction Jobs

These jobs/factions aren't available through the Town Hall, and usually you need to apply to be welcomed into these factions.

External factions/jobs:

These links link to the faction forums on MTA-RP, opening them in a new tab is recommended if you want to stay on this guide.

Government Jobs
Police departments:
State Police Department (SPD).

Los Santos Police Department (LSPD).

County Sheriff's Department (CSD).

Public Service:

Los Santos Emergency Services (LSES).

First Court of San Andreas.

Legal factions/jobs:

San Andreas Network (SAN).

Los Santos International Airport (LSIA).

Hex Tow'n'Go.

Andersons Automotive.

Fairway Private Security Co.

The Better Business Bureau (BBB).

0.5.0 - Driving.

Now all this stuff about jobs has been said, I'm sure that anyone new to Los Santos wouldn't want to walk everywhere; not even poor old Graham. In order to drive legally, let alone purchase a car you must have a license!

0.5.1 - Getting a drivers license.

In order to get your license, head over to the DMV, shown on map near a racing flag.

Map for your convenience:

2saffic.png

Old Graham Do at the DMV about to go for his license!

300whm8.png

Talk to Carla Cooper to get your license, she's available 24/7, how reliable!

2ijkeg0.png

When you've passed the theory test you can go outside and do your practical test; be careful when driving not to damage these test cars as you will fail if they are damaged!
292xpbc.png

0.5.2 - Buying or renting a vehicle.

There are a few vehicle shops around Los Santos, the most common, is the one near the Los Santos Airport; this is favored by most players as it offers cheap cars for the new player; a picture can be seen of this car dealership below.

Car dealers

Car Dealership
2m7td8h.png

Glen Park Car Dealership (Small)
3451lhu.png

Grotti (Rich car dealership)
sdi44k.png

There are other vehicle dealerships, near the Town Hall, next to Unity Station is a Motor-bike dealership that sells a variety of motorbikes, mopeds and scooters.
Motorcycle dealer

282grdk.png

Bicycle shop.

30m61rp.png

Now that you have got a car, you might need some items to help you along the way! By heading over to Verona Mall you can purchase yourself a GPS, a Cellphone and whatever you need.

0.6.0 - Items.

Items are available to purchase from NPC vendors, and accessed via your inventory by pressing . Your characters inventory should come up and look like this:
dvmv13.png

To use an item simply click on the items icon with your mouse. In your backback all of your misc items will be placed here, your wallet contains identification such as any licenses you may have, or if you are a police, your badge, or ID card.
The Key slot displays your keys, property, vehicle and business keys and lastly, the weapon slot contains your weapons on hand, and appear in your scroll menu.

0.6.1 - Item Shops
Items are available for purchase at shops; the most common is Verona Mall, represented by a disc on the F11 Map.

Verona Mall

At Verona Mall you have a wealth of shops the purchase things from, here is a list of the shops and their products that are available at Verona Mall.

Electronics Store - Sells electronics, buy cellphones, radios and GPS systems here.
General Store - Sells pool cues, phone books and bandanas here.
Burger Shot - Sells nice burgers here, don't eat too many though!
Donut Shop - This place sells nice donuts.
Club Sevenup - Sells Alcohol, a nice place to hang with friends.
Security Shop - Buy Key moulds, armour and all your security needs here.
Tylers Couches - Buy furniture here, (Drag and drop from your inventory to place furniture, makes for really cool house furnishing).

0.6.2 - Illegal Items.

Not all items are legal to have on your character, items like guns if you do not have a gun license are illegal to have in your possession and makes for some hefty punishment if caught with one on you. Illegal items don't just lay with weapons, but drugs too. Items such as: Alkaloid Seeds, Marijuana, Cocaine and PCP are illegal narcotics, and are illegal to have, and illegal to buy/sell them.

0.6.3 - Obtaining Illegal items.
There are two NPC's to my knowledge that sell guns and drugs; both are very hard to find; the weapon salesman uses the model 'The Truth' uses in the story mode, whilst I am unsure of the model that the Drug dealer uses, you're better off roleplaying with someone else, purchasing guns or drugs off of them, but be careful to not get caught by the police!

Alternatively, you can grow or manufacture drugs if you have the required items and knowledge, and by making an admin report in F2 reporting yourself, you can be supervised by an admin while roleplaying your actions. This is a preferred alternative to many as it's easier and you know you roleplayed it well if you get the items.

0.7.0 - Buying or renting a property.

If you see a house with a green house marker floating in front of it, then it is up for sale; if you have the required amount of money to purchase the property, you can simply press F on the marker and you the green, rotating house marker will change to an entrance marker displaying the house address and your characters name.

By pressing F again on the marker will teleport you inside the house.

While in the interior you have the option to /sell <player> (if there is a player near you), or you have the option to /sellproperty, or /setfee to set an entrance fee for all to pay when and if they want to enter.

0.8.0 - Police

There are three police departments on MTA-RP at this given time, some appear better than others with the quality of roleplay. If you find yourself being harassed OOCly by a cop, or think that you have been hard done by, by metagaming, or corrupt cops; make a ticket here.

But if you're on the run from the cops make sure to roleplay everything, yes in /me and /do, and if the cops don't roleplay; be sure to take plenty of screenshots with F12.

So you've landed yourself in jail and don't know how long you have left; by typing in /jailtime you can see how much time you have left in Jail, and/or Admin jail.

Corruption is a big no-no, and any signs of it should be dealt with (even if not much actually DOES happen).

In the real world people don't purposefully go about trying to cause ruckus with police which further leads this into an MTA-RP server rule which associates with the NON-RP rules that are misunderstood most times on quite an unusual front, and scale. Again, provoking the police into chasing you is not on and is unnecessary as it not only wastes the polices time, but in case of a horrible giant shoot out, it limits police forces by spreading the force thin; the shootout would be more fun to play in.

0.9.0 - Hurt? Broken Bones?

If you have suffered a lengthy fall, been hit by a car or worse, shot in the knee; you may find yourself unable to run, or jump. If this happens you should call for a medic straight away and let them help fix your pain because there are some things that eating countless sandwiches will not fix.

If you find yourself at the hospital call for a doctor and wait ever so patiently in the waiting room. Patience is the key no matter the pain.

But if you bugged out and need a quick fix, eat lots and lots of sandwiches.

1.0.0 - NONRP.

The term NONRP entails a lot of things of which a lot of players seem to take the pleasure of taking it in context, or out of context; fortunately for most players this is not an issue, but you get some people that take this rule a little to seriously. If things have been roleplayed correctly through conversation, /me's and /do's then there is nothing to argue because the NON dissipates, making it just RP which brings us to the void dimension of arguments sake.

If you annoy people in real life, they get annoyed. In roleplay this can happen to as character are not and should not be mindless emotionless zombie pixels, not at all. If you annoy the wrong people you could easily find yourself dead, sued or mistreated harshly. Just because you think that it may be a trivial reason to be angry, remember that ancient wars were started with trivial reasons.
(This chapter will be edited and expanded on in the next few updates.)

1.1.0 - Turn based Roleplay.

This is a suggestion mostly, but it really works. Just like in conversations which are turn based:

Sam: Hey, how are you?
Terry: Good thanks, you?
Sam: I just fed the ducks.

Notice how the two belligerents take it in turns to ask one another questions? Imagine that accompanied with some really detailed emotes to describe the way they look, act and talk. Just an example of turn based roleplay.

*Sam turns himself to face Terry, his pleasant smile stretching across his lips slightly as his eyes come to meet Terry's with a reconciling view. Sam's voice is calm like the snow falling so tranquilly around them in the winter wonderland.
Sam: Hey how are you?

*Terry nods at Sam, his arms fold behind his back in a regal warlord fashion; if only he was wearing a penguin suit. Terry replies simply, his face devoid of emotion and feeling, the look of a stone cold killer.
Terry: Good thanks, you?

*Sam shrugs, lightening up at the response his smile widens into a toothy grin his eyes accompany this merry show of joy with much pleasure.
Sam: I just fed the ducks.

By taking the time to let one another roleplay you could really have yourself quite the nice time, not only by getting ideas on emotes from other people but also by roleplaying correctly. Due to the theatrical sense of roleplay, one person doesn't read the script, multiple people do. Otherwise it would be a VERY boring, biased roleplay.

With this said, and made possible, this would eradicate the need for many binds which are really not needed at all. Binded emotes look sloppy and truthfully said, they look absolutely terrible.

==Edition 1 - Roleplay Guide 101 - Revision 1.==

Updates as of 14/12/12

Added

Changed
0.2.2 - /pickup, /hangup, /sms and /p.
0.3.5 - gun fear

ra9t1l.png

Last edited by a moderator:

samyong

Some of the things to expect in the next review and update of this guide:
0.9.0 - Hurt? Broken bones?

The addition of some chat commands for players:
/sms
and the useful console bind of cc.

Feel free to add any suggestions here in this post, or by PMing me in-game or on forums. :)

NRKswishy

This was long awaited and impressed by it, kudos on the time you've taken to type this up, hopefully people actually follow it.

samyong

Due to me being unable to edit the main post I cannot update this.

Last edited by a moderator:
sUp5rET.png