sUp5rET.png

Upcoming Server Changes

Overload

Keeper of the Keys
Staff member
Server Owner
Donator

Server Announcement

In the past we have hopped around to different hosts, and usually tried to stick with the best, but at the same time the cheapest.. We do not want to go in over our heads (Like when we were with Staminus.. $500/month for 5Gbps DDoS Protection that only halfway worked) but we also do not want to go too cheap, so that we can be taken down by a Home internet connection. Lets be honest, If they could take us down, they would be doing it a lot more often than they already do.

Our current host is a company I have been with off and on for about 4 years. After I had used them for nearly 3 they offered to hook me up less than half price for my server. Things have gone well since then, but as you all may notice lately things are getting to be laggy again.. We have had lag issues with this host in the past, in their old data center where they sold way too much bandwidth they didn't have to offer.. This caused the network to run extremely congested and lag all the time.
Although I am only speculating at this point, that seems to be the issue again. When they moved to a new data center they told us that they bought 40Gbps more than they needed, and it seems to just have taken them this long to start over using it.

During the busiest part of our days (when we hit 50-60) our server begins to lag, and things done IG are unbelievably slow.

A host that we have been trying to switch to for a while now, (But couldnt largely due to cost) has finally offered a pretty decent sale on their packages, and so we finally got our order in to them. Theres a few things changing because of this, But we hope that it will be for the better of everyone. I created a small FAQ below, That should help answer most of the questions.

FAQ
  • Does this increase our cost?
    Yes.. This will nearly triple our current monthly cost, but the amount of features we get in return for this price increase will be worth it.
  • Will we get better DDoS Protection?
    YES! Finally some professional grade DDoS protection, that actually works. Our new host claims to be able to hold back up to 480Gbps with no limits. That means that in order to take us down, you would need 482Gbps to do so. This is amazing news for us, as we should never ever see a ddos issue again.
  • Do they oversell like our old host?
    Although we have not visited this data center, and do not yet know EXACTLY how things are ran there.. We do know people who use the same data center who have never had any lag or ping issues such as what we have. Their downtime is like 1% per year, compared to our current host at 1% per week.
  • Will the Servers Location Change?
    Yes and no.. We will still be located on the East Coast of the United States, But we are moving a little North in to Canada.
  • Does this mean we will have to change IP's?
    Yes, we will have to change our current IP to move to the new host. If we are able to work diligently and move everything over in a timely manner then we should be able to keep a Redirect on for about 2 weeks, before the old IP is taken down.
  • What about that SSD we JUST bought?
    Unfortunately we will loose the power of a SSD, However after reviewing the actual drive usage for MTA, it was never our Hard Drive that was causing the lag issues we always seen, Even our SSD had the same lag issues. Turns out it was the Network issues instead.
  • I'm a nerd, Lets hear some specs!
    Our old server was:
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 @ 3.5Ghz (4 Cores, 8 Threads)
    16 GB 1333Mhz ECC Ram
    120GB SSD
    1TB HDD Secondary Drive
    1Gbps Unmetered with Minor DDoS Filtering

Our New server will include:
    Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6Ghz (4 Cores, 8 Threads)
    64 GB 1333Mhz ECC Ram
    2x 2TB SATA 3 HDD
    1Gbps Unmetered with 480Gbps DDoS Protection
  • Sounds good, When do we switch?
    The new host is giving me a 24 hour setup window, At which time I will have to install Windows myself, (Or use their reload tool) And then begin to install everything we need to run.. This can be done in one day, however I do want to run the server through some "Stress Tests" to make sure its going to stand up to our demand.
  • Any way we can help?
    Glad you asked (I know you didn't.. but oh well :D) This new server is Tripling our monthly cost, and we are also trying to do this charity thing that was recently started.. The first month of the new server has came off my Credit Card, So priority number one will be paying that debt back. We are aiming to raise an extra $100 for the charity, which is planned to be paid out on 8/1/14. If you have been thinking about donating, or have donated before and would like to continue, Now would be a good time. A unplanned x2 donation sale is live, and will stay live until we reach our goal of $250 (150 for the new server, and 100 for the charity)
  • New Server?!?! Does this mean we have to start over?
    One of the biggest things MTA:RP Prides its self on are the fact that we have NEVER had a server reset since we started. No, There will be absolutely no reset. Nothing will be lost during this move. All that will change is simply our IP Address.

I will have updates as they become available, We likely will not move to the new server right away, as i want to run some tests and make sure our Hard Drive and hardware will stand up to what we throw at it.

Thanks
Overload

Last edited:

Chaoss

The real MVP
Bug fixes to do with vehicles removing some items from a users body(helmet, bandana etc) will be fixed upon the server change.

This is a larger investment for us at MTARP, but we hope it will be worth it!
Also a quick note, we are happy to see the /charityvip going so well. We will cap our accepted donations at $100 per month then reset and a new organization will be chosen for the new month. We are close to 100, go ahead and donate next time you are IG!

Thanks again.

buckeyesdb

<br /><b><span style="color:#129FB5;"t>MTA Mapping
Donator
Bug fixes to do with vehicles removing some items from a users body(helmet, bandana etc) will be fixed upon the server change.

Hallelujah-Reaction-GIFS.gif

Overload

Keeper of the Keys
Staff member
Server Owner
Donator
Sounds good. Not sure if we will be able to afford that server doe

We can, We make plenty, its just putting strain on the other things we have. Such as the Backup server = no more.

sUp5rET.png