sUp5rET.png

The Role Play Guru: The Complete Role Play Guide

The Role Play Guru: Guide to DM, PG, MG

"OMG what a n00b! Stop powergaming, imma report u!"
"Stop bunnyhopping, it's against the rules numbnuts"
"Stop DMing, I will report you"
"Metagame much"

Mister Admin has jailed you for 20 minutes, reason: Inexperienced player

New to the server and got no idea what they are talking about? Do not fear. In this guide everything will be explained so you wont be confused with all those gibberish and keep you away from the admin jail.

***NOTE: This tutorial covers a LOT of information and might be updated from time to time when something new has been discovered on a certain definition***

In this tutorial, the following will be explained:

1. Deathmatching
2. Powergaming
3. Metagaming

Additional information

Deathmatching

Unlike the deathmatch you see in Counter strike:Source, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and the deathmatch modes on other GTA servers. You are NOT ALLOWED to deathmatch on this server.

What is Deathmatching?

There are 2 types of deathmatching

1. Continually punching/kicking an object/car/player by jamming your left mouse button
2. Shooting/fighting without any reason or roleplay actions.

When you want to fight with someone, you have to roleplay your actions. You have to make a /me when you want to punch or kick someone. example: /me extends his arm, throwing a punch towards player's stomach

When a fight has firearms included (like a gang war, police shootout, etc.) You have to roleplay actions like: Grabbing your weapon, aiming the weapon, holstering your weapon.

*Mittell Buurman reaches to his side holster, pulling out his Walther P99, flicking the safety to "OFF"* <-- weapon pulling
*Mittell Buurman aims his weapon towards the suspects direction* <-- Weapon aiming
*Mittell Buurman pulls the trigger, firing two shots towards the suspect* <-- Weapon firing (Passive, non hectic enviroment)
*Mittell Buurman pulls the clip out of the weapon, jamming a full clip back in* <-- Reloading weapon
*Mittell Buurman flicks the safety to "ON" and conseals his Walther P99 back into his holster* <-- Weapon holstering

All these actions are required to use your firearm properly.

A few exeptions on weapon firing.
When there is a shootout/warfare and approved by both parties where there is no time to type when you are fireing.

If this is not the case, you have to roleplay every action.

• Powergaming

Powergaming has 3 definitions

1. Roleplaying items you do not have.
    2. Think you are some indestructible terminator or some superathletic and super powerful Rambo
    3. Making roleplay actions without awaiting or letting the other player give any chance to respond.

When you roleplay items that you do not have in your inventory, you are powergaming. Let's say you are arguing with someone, and that person punches you. You suddenly have a knife in your hand and stab the player while you do not have the item in your inventory.

Another example is regarding security systems inside clubs. I have seen people Roleplay a security system as soon as people asked 'are there any CCTV cameras inside this club?'
    So lets say you own a club, you are going to throw your first GRAND OPENING PARTY. You didn't have got anything installed. The club opens and a fight happens. The police arrives and questions everyone. All of a sudden an officer asks: 'Do you have any security systems? If so, we like to see the tapes'. All of a sudden you make a /do:
    *There is a CCTV camera's inside the club ((Club Owner))

If you do not have them installed or can show logs that the system is installed, you are powergaming. Since you can't prove it, you do NOT Have a CCTV system in your club.

"I am Rambo, I am invincible, I can break these cuffs"
    You are not superman, you do not have superstrength to break cuffs, push 4 cops away when you are cuffed and run away. All this is powergaming.

There are some specific rules in all kinds of situations mother nature has set up for humanity. When you crash your car into a tree. The tree ALWAYS wins. Your car loses and you are probably hurt and broke some bones. When this happens in the game, it's exactly the same. The tree still wins and you have to roleplay injuries. Do not just take off and speed away. That's powergaming.

Another example: You are driving to the top of Mount Chilliad and decide to jump off it with your car FOR TEH LULZ. Your car is like a cat and lands safely on the ground, makes a barrel roll and ends n it's tires. everything alright, right?

The answer is NO. Gravity is a bitch since newton discovered the formula which (in theory) makes your car heavier on the impact. the impact force (G-force) of the car literally smashes your car into the ground! Even if your car survives, your skeleton will be ripped in 1000 pieces and that means and instant death by the G-force.

"Uhh... I still don't get it"

Conclusion is simple. Your car is be thorn apart and you will die when you hit the ground.

Final part on Powergaming:
    *Mittell Buurman PUNCHES Burrowfield in the face.*
    This is an action where you simply punch someone. This is a common mistake people make in the beginning. This is considered powergaming. The reason is simple. You assume you hit the person instantly because he let his guard down. Well maybe you do, but it is his decision if he noticed or not.

This is really situation related. A person can
    *thrust a punch towards someone's face* and he can block it.

'but what if he keeps defending like he can expect every punch, isn't he powergaming aswell?'

In fact he is. You have to accept a few punches to make it realistic. If the /me is sloppy. like /me blocks the punch. It's not really specific. If you want to block it correctly. first check if you: 1. Expect the punch, and 2. Are you able to block the punch from your direction? If yes, you may block. If no, accept the punch and make a reaction.

• Metagaming

Metagaming covers a lot and has the largest impact on someone's game.
    Since it has just too much to cover, I will list everything, i'm sure it should give you a good view on what metagaming is.

Metagaming has several topics, from common, to some uncommon cases.

Most common explanation of MetaGaming:
    Using OOC (Out Of character) Information IC (In Character)

Common:
    -Reading Nametags
    -displaying health bar
    -Faction searching (exept on duty Officials which are in uniform)
    -Giving information via PM -> PM and use it in game
    -Using ventrilo/skype/TeamSpeak while being unable to extract information because of being kidnapped/having no radio, etc.
    -Revenge killing/calling police after being killed
    -giving information about someone while you never saw his face ICly.

Uncommon
    -Using the chatbox to locate a person which your character wouldn't be able to see/hear.
    -Spotting weapons in grass/bushes from a long distance

Additional information

Check out my other guides:
The Role Play Guru The complete role play guide

Credits:
Mittell Buurman -2012​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the world of GTA Role Play. Quick introduction, I'm Mittell Buurman. I've been Role Playing since 2009. Throughout the course I have gained experience on certain levels. I started out as a newbie, just like you. But do not worry, you will get it and later on teach other players how to Role Play properly.

1. What is Role play?
2. Creating your Character
3. How to Role Play?

Additional information

1. What is Role Play?

Role play is playing a certain character in a certain situation. An event happens and when you are getting involved with it, you are role playing about what is going to happen to your character.

For example:
You are walking down the street when you suddenly see a car speeding around the corner, almost hitting you.

If this happens, you ask yourself how YOU will respond if this would happen in real life.

From my view:

*The car almost hits Mittell Buurman* <-- The action
*Mittell Buurman jumps to the side, away from the car* <-- My reaction
*His face shows a feared expression* <-- My emotional response
*The adrenaline level in Mittell's body rapidly raises which cause his body to shake.* <-- Additional information

This is a Role Play event. There is something happening, you are part of the event.

Does this make clear what Role Play is?
If yes, you are one step ahead to success.
If no, Don't worry, you'll get it once you have fully read this guide.

2. Creating your character.

Like any game, you start with a character. But what's so nice about the world of role play?
You can make your character do anything you like. Do you want to become the worlds most feared criminal? It's possible!

When you are creating your first character, you don't have to decide what to do with him, you can figure it out later on. Want him to become a Police officer? You might want your character to obey all the laws, get a legal job and eventually apply for the police academy as soon as the recruitment period is open.

Do you want your character to become a gang member or leader? You will do anything to find your contacts, resources and if everything works out, you will sell drugs and make weapon deals like a Baws!

The Appearance section

I have seen people writing some short story about their character. Like: "Mittell was born in a ghetto, he hates cops and is now planning to become the biggest mafia boss."

The appearance section is not to describe his history or your plans with him. The appearance section is meant to give us a brief description how your character will look like: "Mittell has blue eyes, blond hair, a well groomed goatee and a tanned skin"

3. How to Role Play?

When you are new to role play. there are a few commands that you need to know.
1. /me <-- Characters actions/movement
2. /do <-- Environment/car/physical actions/ visual information | Reactions on /me's

A /me is the action that your character makes. It could be really anything.

SYNTAX: /me [text]
Appearance: *Player Name [Text]
Here are a few examples:

*Mittell Buurman kicks his legs into motion, walking straight ahead* <-- Movement
*Mittell Buurman Reaches with his right hand to his jacket pocket, sliding out a wallet* <-- Inventory access
*Mittell Buurman looks around as he focuses his eyes on a bird in a tree* <-- facial movement/eye movement
*Mittell Buurman turns around as his face becomes red and his expression shows anger* <-- facial expression/ emotional expression
*Mittell Buurman reaches to his glass of sprunk, reaching it to his mouth, taking a sip.* <-- consumption movement
*Mittell Buurman reaches with his right hand to his side holster, pulling out a Walther P99* <-- Weaponry movement

Once you mastered these Role Play actions, you are growing to become an advanced Role Player.

A /do is not specifically bound to your character. A /do could be something that people can notice in your car. A /do could be something that people can see on/inside your house. A /do can be used at any moment at any time.

SYNTAX: /do [text]
Appearance: *[Text]* ((Player Name))
Here are a few examples:

*You notice that Mittell's nose is bleeding.* ((Mittell Buurman)) <-- Visual info about character's appearance
*Mittell speaks with a Dutch accent.* ((Mittell Buurman)) <-- Additional information for communication
*You notice a Mobile Data Computer inside the Premier.* ((Mittell Buurman)) <-- Additional information regarding vehicles
*You notice a sticker on the car showing 'Los Santos Sanitary'* ((Mittell Buurman)) <-- Visual vehicle description
*You see black smoke coming from the house* ((Mittell Buurman)) <-- Visual description regarding a house fire
*A bartender walks up to Mittell Buurman asking: 'Can I take your order?' * ((Mittell Buurman)) <-- Social interactions including an NPC
*Mittell fall down after Robert Pope punched Mittell* ((Mittell Buurman)) <-- Reaction on a /me action

Additional information

In the world of Role Play situations change constantly. Your contribution can change someone's gameplay entirely! You beated up a person, robbed him from his cash and weapons? The next day that same person can send his friends to locate you and kill you.
The world of Role play is very global, why? Because you need to improvise your actions. The more you role play, the more creative you become. You also learn a lot from role playing.

I wish you good luck and Happy Role playing!

Check out my other guides:
The Role Play Guru: Deathmatch, Powergaming, Metagaming Explained!
Credits:
Mittell Buurman -2012

H

Handy

You should give more examples of detailed /me's and /do's. That way players will try to be as good as you, or even better, making them want to learn how to RP greater.
Exempli gratia:
*You see black smoke coming from the house* ((Mittell Buurman))
This was yours, I would do it like this:
*As you look towards the area of Jefferson, you might notice a small blue house of about 20 meters tall, and 50 square meters wide. As you shift your view onto the building, you notice that a cluster of black-colored mist comes out of it. You identify that mist as smoke, due to the fact that you can see its thickness, and you can feel the smell of it from five hundred away. If you're close to it, you might feel a heat wave emanating from its interior, and you might hear multiple crackle sounds caused by a fire.* ((Mittell Buurman))

Chase

'Not only can you finish in the /do - "what ever you would have rest to say", but just clicking F8, or '~' and it'll let you type a little more, but sometimes it edges :)

sUp5rET.png